Sunday, May 28, 2006

No Show!

"We unlock the code tonite!".This was the message i sent AW after i got tickets(from ticket point) for the Da Vinci Code. 10.45 pm, Friday night, E Square. Now, having read the book and being completely bowled over by it, I was naturally excited about watching the cinematic adaptation of Dan Brown's best. And knowing that Ron Howard had directed it and Tom Hanks was in it made it all the more alluring. I remember Ron Howard as a 18 year old kid acting in a sitcom called Happy Days which ran in the USA in the 60s. So feels a bit weird to see him so much older and directing now.

Now, after having a particularly enjoyable evening on Friday on the hill and in Barista, i had settled down in front of my laptop to play Need For Speed: Underground 2. I was in the middle of a particularly tough Street X race.2 Laps out of 4 down and i was in third position. Bad state. Suddenly my cell phone starts to croon Sweet Child of Mine. I curse, pause the game and answer the call. Its Ticket Point. "Iam sorry sir. But tonites show at E Square for Da Vinci Code has been cancelled due to techinical difficulties". I say "WTF????" I am a bit stunned at this sudden unpleasant turn of events. So i dont react and jump down the throat of that ticket point person. I get back to my game now. At this point of time i am quite incensed. Which consequently makes me pull out 2 of my greatest Street X laps ever and win the race with a lead time of 6.43 secs! Now after that rush, i call up AW and tell her teh bad news. She, surprisingly, is pretty reticent about the whole thing. We decide to go to E Square and take a chance anyways. However, AW reaches there at 10:00 pm and starts to shhot off at the person at the ticket counter. He announces that there is no show at 10:45(Although their board and screen show it as housefull!). So now i cal back the ticket point guy and yell at him. But to no avail. He just assures me a full refund and thats it. I cut his call in between his defence. Iam that mad!

So AW and I deicide to take our chance with the 11:30 pm show. She has left 500 bucks with the guy at the ticket counter(which left him as confused as a baby in a topless bar..thats a Sidhuism by the way) so that we can pouch the tickets if any should rear up. So i drag my dejected butt to E Square and join AW and her hubby in the food court. As soon as AW sees me she retorts "Are evdha ka padla aahe chehra...Its just a movie!".(Again, for non-maharashtrains or non-indians "Why you so glum...Its just a movie!"). I give her a weak smile and snatch her N91 away from her and start to tinker with it. Just for something to do. We discuss the various "amazing" features of the phone for a while(with AW telling me in between to take a deep breath, relax and cheer up) till their Dosas arrive. They start to nibble on their south indian preperation while i still play with AW's phone.We then move down to the ticket counter to find out if our 500 buck carrot worked. AW suddenly has a brain wave and askes her hubby(Mr. SC) to go to the ticket pointer counter and just present them with the coupon. He promptly rushes off while we sit outside chatting up.

Soon we see SC come out with a smug grin on his face and with three tickets in his hand. AW gives him this awesomely happy smile and we congratulate him on his charm and how the next time if i had problems i knew who to call. We check the ticket to see which screen the movie is on and proceed towards Screen 1. We are sitting on a bench there discussing the reservation controvesy when i just glance at the tickets to see what seats we had. And thats when i see it. Right there, printed in big black letters, impossible to miss. X MEN 3! That moron at the ticket point counter had given us ticklets to X MEN 3! And we being bigger morons had not checked!

We truged our way back to the ticket point counter and returned the tickets and got my coupon back. SC grinned sheepishly as we walked back to the car with our tails between our legs. Due to someones miscommunication we had been robbed of an opportunity to see a great movie. We rode back home and AW and SC dropped me off. I shall unlock the code i vowed!..Sunday..I shall!

No comments: