Wednesday, June 07, 2006

My First!

"She's got a smile that it seems to me,
Reminds me of childhood memories,
When everything was as fresh as the bright blue sky:
Now and then when i see her face,
She Takes me away to that special place,
And if i stared too long,
I'd probably break down and cry."

The first time i heard these words was in Second year of Engineering. On a particularly soggy day, I was sitting on my desk completing a Industrial Electronics assignment. I was listening to some mushy song by MLTR which got over and i didnt even realise. Suddenly a great guitar piece sounded. Strong, hypnotizing and alluring. The guitarist was laying it on thick! I thought to myself that I hadnt heard this one before. I looked up from my sheet and glanced at my computer screen to see which song was playing. And there i read it: Guns N Roses - Sweet Child of Mine!

As the first section guitar sequence ended a particularly unique voice started to sing the words above. I was listening to the song quite hypnotised. The two lyrics verses ended in no time(or so I thought) and then what came after that simply floored me. The song transformed into a mind numbing solo guitar sequence by the lead guitarist(Slash!) which had me sitting there mesmerised. I mean it was AWESOME! The whole song just left me spell bound. I totally forgot about my Electronics assignment and replayed the song 7 times over! And every time, i got more and more mesmerised! Rock music had entered my bloodstream. And the needle was: Guns N Roses - Sweet Child Of Mine!

What followed was my complete transformation into a rock music freak. Facts of which are well documented! Till date this remains my favorite rock song. Anytime it starts playing, i never change it. Or skip it. If it comes on, i listen. And i try to mimic Axl with his microphone antics. Or Slash with his INCREDIBLE guitar pyrotecnics! This song always leave me with a amazing feeling. Its weird, but it happens!

Ive heard a lot of rock songs since then.And many have caught my fancy. But the song that got me first, the song that transformed a pop music audiophile to a rock music addict was, is and always will be.. Sweet Child of Mine!

No comments: